University of Rochester Administrative Asst in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 051 Surgical Education
With wide latitude for initiative and independent, mature judgment, candidates for this position must gather and interpret data and prioritize information regarding the General Surgery Residency and Surgical Critical Care Fellowship Programs, residents and faculty. Advanced graduate medical education knowledge and skills required. Must be proficient in Microsoft Windows word processing, Excel, PowerPoint, and MedHub, and have the ability to quickly learn various required software.
Must demonstrate initiative, resourcefulness, and problem-solving skills in applying a detailed knowledge of the responsibilities, functions, and underlying management structure of the program and of the larger institution and accrediting bodies in organizing and independently prioritizing work, establishing procedures and systems, and ensuring orderly and timely work flow.
The position requires a comprehensive and detailed understanding of national accreditation policies and hospital policies, as well as a high degree of initiative and independent judgment.
This position, often dealing with confidential matters, provides primary administrative support to the General Surgery Residency Program Director, Assistant Program Directors (4), Surgical Critical Care Program Director and Chief Residents/attending physicians. This includes time management and calendaring for the Directors, prioritizing competing demands, delegating matters as appropriate, and with minimal direction is back-up to the Program Administrator. Candidate must have superior interpersonal and organizational skills and must be sensitive to confidentiality.
- Assist with the progression of individual residents to assure their experience is in compliance with the requirements defined by the ACGME Residency Review Committee; compile, analyze and develop summary semi-annual feedback reports, minutes, and final VGMET reports on resident.
- Achieve and maintain working knowledge of all program requirements set forth by the ACGME and The American Board of Surgery (ABS).
- Develop, collect, analyze SurveyMonkey surveys for resident recruitment, orientation and additional applications as necessary; deliver a summary and recommendations for impacted and related-projects.
- Compile and distribute resident annual faculty education report cards and program feedback.
- Manage residency events including annual research symposium, and annual health and wellness fair. Assist program administrator with additional event planning/preparation as needed such as new resident welcoming event resident group outing/retreats, and alumni events. These events are critical to the success of the residency program related to recruitment and retention of residents.
- Manage residency related expenses based on allocated budget.
- Manage resident assignments of call space and supplies; facilitate repairs of necessary supplies as needed. Coordinate with services departments of the University and external vendors and negotiate quotes as necessary.
- Develop and maintain alumni data base for reporting. Responsible for data integrity and maintenance. Develop, manage and deliver surveys annually for program quality improvement.
- Assist Program Administrator in preparation of ACGME site visit preparation for General Surgery and Surgical Critical Care.
- Manage aspects of daily office functions (phones, meetings, conferences, vendor contact, mail, etc.)
- Assist with IPRO unannounced site visits by ensuring that resident administration, staff and residents have been informed of the process; that GME has all of the pertinent program information in a timely and efficient manner.
- Monitor, assess, and inspect delineation of competency procedure data input and evaluations of each resident for the purpose of residency credentialing of supervision for the ACGME.
- Assist as back-up for Clerkship Coordinator in her/his absence.
Coordinate the intern recruitment and orientation process
- Develop and prepare residency recruitment materials for interviews and incoming orientation processes.
- Utilize the Electronic Residency Application System (ERAS) to respond to phone and email requests from applicants.
- Welcome and interact with applicants on interview day, ensuring their professional needs for acclimating to SMH are taken care of.
- Serve as back-up to Program Administrator for Electronic Interview Scheduling system.
- Develop and populate the initial Rank List based on interview and application/ scores and prepare applicant rank slide shows.
- Participate and take meeting minutes at interview day rank meeting.
Manage and Coordinate the Complex Schedules of over 35 General Surgery residents
- Define the General Surgery Residency program settings in MedHub and as the Primary Administrator for MedHub. Create, upload and inspect and execute schedules, evaluations, procedures, resources, curriculum documents in MedHub, as described below.
- Assist in development, and execution of the yearly rotation/vacation schedules (SMH and HH, Unity, and RGH, Schedules) for General Surgery, and Rotating Residents from Ortho, ENT, Urology, EM, Anesthesiology while on General Surgery service in MedHub. Inspect and update schedules on a monthly basis.
- Develop and maintain the curriculum document and evaluation matrices in MedHub for each rotation and each trainee, allowing for automated distribution of curricula and/or evaluations to the appropriate trainee and faculty at the appropriate time. Anticipate, execute and gather manual assignment of evaluations in MedHub on an as-needed basis.
- Inspect and analyze duty hours for Surgery residents to ensure compliance with NY State and ACGME regulations weekly for GME and the program; investigate potential violations and provide feedback to the Program Director.
- Manage Med Hub calendar for resident events.
Manage and Coordinate Residency Education
- Manage all aspects of didactic residency conferences requiring collaboration across URMC as well as outside entities with direction from the associate program director for curriculum. Propose topics and speakers designed to meet educational needs/gaps to provide adequate coverage of required subject areas. Maintain, prepare, and submit all related compliance reports based on Accreditation Council of Graduate Medical Education (ACGME) requirements.
- Provide administrative oversight of all resident mandatory sessions and courses. Ensure registration, schedule, and materials are complete and provided to residents prior to course.
Social Media Coordinator:
- In collaboration with the Program Director and/or Education Administrator, develop and maintain residency program external websites for General Surgery and Surgical Critical Care. Research best practices, survey residents and make recommendations about how changes would stimulate greater interest and promote high levels of web traffic to generate increased candidate interest in the Program.
- Create, develop, launch and manage relevant social media presence(s) for the General Surgery Residency Program for various purposes (recruitment, wellness, alumni relations, etc.). Develop and/or import content, manage posts and respond to followers.
College graduation (Bachelor Degree), or an equivalent combination of experience and training. One year of relevant administrative experience. Applicant must able to work independently, manage multiple responsibilities and work productively with limited to no guidance in a very busy and sometimes congested environment. Applicants must be well organized, detail-oriented, and possess strong interpersonal skills.
Software area that this position will be responsible: Prefer proficiency in MedHub software (a web-based evaluation, activity planning, financial monitor, calendar and duty hour monitoring program used throughout all GME training programs within the URMC and Medical School).
- Prefer proficient in Microsoft Office, utilizing all of the programs within Microsoft (Excel, Word, Outlook, etc.) to work and communicate efficiently.
- Prefer extensive working knowledge of ERAS (a web-based electronic residency application system).
- Prefer proficient in SurveyMonkey
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Administrative Asst
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 209104
Full/Part Time: Full-Time