University of Rochester Assistant Manager, MFG Coding in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 052 URMFG Untitled Business Office
8 AM-4:30 PM
Manages all the activities of the MFG UBO Coding functions. Supervises staff in area of responsibility and serves as a liaison for outside vendor of contracted services. Provides support for personnel, planning and problem resolution. Recommends goals and objectives for the area. Promotes positive customer relations and ensures communication with staff.
Under general direction and latitude for independent judgment:
- Directs and supervises assigned staff in area of responsibility; all URMC Medical Faculty Group (MFG) Coding. Schedules staff to ensure adequate coverage 24 hours per day, seven days per week. Ensures receipt of documents/records, eRecord work queues, supervises the abstraction of records to ascertain required documents and signatures are included for coding and charge review. Determines the responsible physician for completion of records according to MFG policies. Refers incomplete records not ready for coding to responsible physician and monitors status of completion according to standards. Supervises the accurate and timely coding of diagnoses and procedures and modifiers and abstraction of data from records. Ensures feedback of coding function to URMC providers and others as requested.
- Recruit, hire, promote, evaluate performance, recommend salary adjustments, determine disciplinary action and perform related personnel actions. Responsible for final approval of payroll on time management system software. Develops and implements training programs for staff within unit.
- Establishes and maintains effective customer service relations for area including interactions with other MFG United Business Office departments, clinical department staff and providers, patients, outside contract vendors, and third party payers. Works with supervisors of other departments to identify and resolve problems and change procedures to provide optimum service. Works effectively with external agencies and customers to facilitate auditing of medical records and resolution of payment discrepancies.
- Interpret and communicate to staff, University and department policy. Assists Manager of area in development of goals and objectives, recommends and implements policy and procedure changes in work methods and procedures within unit. Prepares routine operational and special reports as needed.
- Ensures the maintenance of adequate supplies and maintenance of equipment.
- Attends and participates in departmental, MFG, UBO, and professional meetings to keep knowledge current. Communicates and interprets professional fee payer standards for coding, other UBO staff, and medical staff. Serves as definitive MFG resource for coding guidelines and principles.
Bachelor's degree in Health Information Management, credential from American Health Information Management or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Supervisor of Coding must be credentialed and have at least two years prior experience. Knowledge of mainframe and PC computer applications. As assigned, a difference in skill sets and technical skills may be required.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Assistant Manager, MFG Coding
Location: Medical Faculty Group
Job ID: 213390
Full/Part Time: Full-Time