University of Rochester Assistant to the Dean of the College in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 051 Dean's Staff
8 AM-5 PM
With latitude for independent judgment and minimal direction, the administrative assistant will provide administrative assistance to the Dean of the College, the Associate Dean of the College, and Assistant Dean & Deputy of the College. This includes but is not limited to the management, preparation and appropriate follow-up of the Dean of the College’s daily affairs. The assistant also provides cross coverage within the administrative team to ensure the support of the Arts, Sciences and Engineering Deans. This position will frequently interact with both internal and external visitors, including University faculty, senior administrators, staff and students. It requires initiative as well as the capacity to be flexible and multi-task in a busy environment.
This position will look prospectively at the Dean’s calendar, working collaboratively with various University offices to ensure the accuracy and efficiency of scheduled appointments and travel; being fully prepared with appropriate agendas and briefings. This position will also note and monitor progress on action items stemming from meetings. The assistant also serves as the assistant to the various College committees.
Primary Assistant to the Dean
Provides comprehensive administrative support to Dean of the College:
- Schedules complex large group meetings as well as reoccurring and ad hoc meetings. Proactively collaborates with various University offices to ensure timely appointments and confirms scheduled appointments (attendees, locations, times, etc.).
- Prepares meeting materials including agendas and background documents and other briefing materials as needed. Distribute meeting materials to attendees.
- Assists in the preparation of and reviews presentations for the Dean of the College.
- Attends meetings and completes high-level summary notes and monitors progress on action items stemming from meetings.
- Drafts correspondence on behalf of the Dean to department chairs, faculty, senior administrators, students and alumni. This correspondence includes e-mails, memos, letters, reports, and other correspondence.
- Drafts speaking points and coordinates with College offices to prepare information for speeches.
- Prepares ad hoc reports including student reports from faculty, academic support, University Health Services and other University departments.
- Prepares travel arrangements (including transportation, lodging, etc) and submits travel expense forms and receipts.
- Handles various requests and inquiries that come to the Deans Office, and either responds directly or forwards the matter to the Dean or other appropriate contact.
- Monitors web pages for content and identify updates as needed.
Primary Assistant to the Associate Dean of the College and the Assistant Dean and Deputy to the Dean of the College
- Administrative support including scheduling meetings, preparing documents and agendas.
- Prepares travel arrangements and submits travel expense forms and receipts.
- Provides support on special projects including presentations and basic data searches.
Assistant to Committees and Boards
- Staffs the Student Life Committee, which is a University Board of Trustee subcommittee). This includes assistance in preparing presentations, board reports, meeting logistics and formal meeting minutes.
- Prepares agendas and completes minutes of the College Senior Administrators and Undergraduate Staff meetings and provide administrative follow-up on behalf of the Dean.
- Serves as backup to the assistant to the Board of Academic Honesty (BAH).
Event Planning and Management
- Support the planning and execution of major College events, including the annual Goergen eaching Awards, the Singer Family Award, and Sophomore Committee events. May serve as the Dean’s representative in planning significant College events such as Commencement.
- At times, serve as the main point of contact for events. This includes: management and oversight of registration and RSVP’s; confirmation and pre-event follow up; check-in and nametags; finance and attendance reports; financial reconciliation; and gift processing.
- Serves as back-up to the other Administrative Assistants in the Arts, Sciences and Engineering Deans’ Office. Provides general support as needed in the AS&E; Deans’ Suite.
- Collaborates with other staff members in the Dean's Office in the preparation of special materials and completion of special projects on an ad hoc basis in order to meet office-wide staffing needs and unusual or unexpected deadlines.
Bachelor’s degree and a minimum of three to five years of administrative support in an academic setting required or an equivalent combination of experience and training. Excellent interpersonal, communication, and organizational skills with attention to detail and the ability to work independently are required. The ability to interact effectively with high-level University officers, as well as with students, faculty, staff, and general public is needed. The Assistant must possess exceptional judgment, as well as discretion and professionalism. Basic knowledge of Microsoft Office suite, including PowerPoint, Word and Excel, is strongly recommended.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Assistant to the Dean of the College
Location: The College
Job ID: 210202
Full/Part Time: Full-Time