University of Rochester Category Dir, Procurement in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 057 Purchasing
8 AM-5 PM
Responsible for providing leadership to the Senior Category Managers and to the execution of an enterprise wide strategic plan for the purchase of direct and indirect goods and services. This includes assisting the AVP in developing the strategy to leverage the buying power of the entire organization. The individual directs the Senior Category Managers, and guide them to create strategies for all negotiating activity impacting total spend in excess of $800M across multiple locations and geographies. The individual will work with the Senior Category Managers and teams in the evaluation and strategy development of all spend categories to identify and report cost risks and savings opportunities. The Category Director will then collaborate in the development of strategies to mitigate identified risk and increase savings. This position will lead consensus building toward standardization, best pricing and contracting practices.
The Category Director is also responsible for ensuring the creation and implementing the strategic business plan to meet all savings objectives, as well as develop action plans, timelines and communications as appropriate. These strategies will be developed in collaboration with the Senior Category Managers and Category Teams, as well as all University, Medical Center and external suppliers as appropriate. The position will be responsible for building internal and external collaborative relationships to maximize strategic objectives. These objectives would include cost savings plans, standardization of supply base and risk mitigation.
- Under general direction and with considerable latitude for independent judgment and initiative.
- Demonstrates leadership by providing a strong positive role model and fostering high levels of accountability.
- Directs, trains and provides structure to the Senior Category Managers and over 20 Procurement Professionals to create strategies that will maximize savings for the University.
- Develops, fosters and leads four Senior Category Managers in the development and implementation of proactive Sourcing Strategies to leverage University spend and align resources.
- Establishes management systems, metrics and targets to measure team performance against goals.
- Enforces all departmental policies and practices in support of Procurement's strategic initiatives.
- As part of the Sourcing Strategies, promotes supplier diversity by seeking out and cultivating opportunities to do business with local, small, minority, woman-owned and disadvantaged suppliers.
- Designs, develops, implements and evaluates Sourcing Strategies to maximize savings and manage total spend. These Sourcing Strategies will cover all University and Medical Center locations across multiple geographies. Any strategy will take a holistic view of each category and attempt aggregate spend and activity across the organization. This position will also be a leading advocate for positive change within the department and be a lead role in change management.
- Leads as the principle role responsible for executing negotiation activity across the enterprise. Directs on many of the major negotiation projects. Leads these projects often involving categories with spend in excess of $15M and can involve suppliers with spend in excess of $10M, including:
- Strategizes with the Associate Vice President for Purchasing and Supply Chain to establish UR Procurement policies and support Procurement direction for University customers.
- Develops a strong collaborative relationship with all user Administrator leadership proactively planning for future purchases.
- Analyzes current business processes, while identifying and offering continuous improvement opportunities for existing processes
- Keeps abreast of and evaluating regulatory/supplier changes and industry/application trends to support future planning
- Markets the department's services to the University community and drive change management initiatives.
- Builds and maintains sound collaborative relationships with University users and suppliers via the creation and implementation of a Supplier Relationship Management.
- Monitors supplier performance and internal customer satisfaction and initiate changes where needed.
- Directs the team in accordance with University and department policies; select and develop staff to maximize their opportunity to achieve career goals; measure individual and unit performance. The position will also have decision making authority on hiring and other Human Resource matters.
- Creates and controls expenses; initiates cost reduction programs within the category teams, as well as throughout the University; promote fair competition between qualified suppliers; leverages the University's buying power; reports progress toward accomplishing established goals.
- Takes a holistic view of the category, aggregate spend and procurement activities across the organization and the category to better negotiate with the supplier
- Serves on University committees and participate in professional organizations; keep informed about new purchasing methods, sources of supply, products, etc.; visit vendor facilities to learn of capabilities; serve as a consultant on products and sources of supply.
Bachelor's degree, preferably in Business Administration, and a minimum of 10 years relevant administrative and management experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. C.P.M., MBA preferred.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Category Dir, Procurement
Location: Central Administration
Job ID: 210182
Full/Part Time: Full-Time