University of Rochester ED Access Spec in Rochester, New York
Time as Reported Grade 007 Emergency SMH
4 PM-12 AM; WKENDS/HOL
Coordinate functions associated with patient for ambulatory care visits to the Emergency Department at Strong West. Monitor and ensure that all functions are completed in an accurate, efficient, and patient/customer friendly manner. Facilitate work flow in the department by supporting clinical staff.
- Greet and register patients, families, visitors, external and internal customers, offering excellent customer service and providing the very best patient experience. Perform duties of ED Access Specialist as required by departmental needs. Responsible to maintain highest standards related to customer service, accuracy, and efficiency as EDAS. Collects and verifies patient demographic and financial information to register patient in the hospital computer system. Initiates the ED medical/financial record; appropriately identifies forms needed for specific ED patient visit. Assemble all ED charts for admissions and discharges. Ensure all paperwork is completed and identified (patient information) and distributed appropriately.
- Performance Analysis: Coordinate daily efforts to edit and correct registration and billing errors during full registration process. Identify ways to reduce follow-up, repetitive or corrective work. Utilize Flowcast and eRecord programs to facilitate work flow in the department. Manage patient tracking system ensuring correct location of patients within the ED.
- Customer Service: Triage patient calls, assess the urgency of a situation and determine the appropriate action (or appropriate person to talk to), serves as a focal point for handling complaints, and as front-line problem solver. Answer all incoming phone calls when working in the communications center, routing all calls as appropriate. Coordinate transportation for discharged or transferred patients as needed.
- Financial and Account Management: Ensure that an accurate and complete full registration of the patient is completed prior to the discharge of the patient inclusive of insurance verification of new and self-pay patients. Follow upon hold bills utilizing the hold bill report to facilitate reimbursement for Emergency Department services. Collect co-pays due.
- Training: Provide training support to other EDAS staff on aspects of department-specific work including orientation to the department and hospital, registration process and customer service. Act as information resource for all Departmental staff in regards to registration and work flow activities. Attend educational programs for department at direction of Supervisor/Manager and teach other staff.
- Other Duties: Provide support for Departmental activities. Perform other service oriented tasks, escorting patients, offering comfort items to patients/families/visitors in the waiting area, witnessing consent signatures, fax charts as requested, pull charts for QA audits or patient care follow up. Assist with other requests from clinical staff.
High School Diploma and 2.5 years related work experience, preferably in an Emergency Department setting; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Medical terminology experience required and demonstrated ability to type accurately. Previous customer service skills required.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: ED Access Spec
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 213394
Full/Part Time: TAR