University of Rochester Financial Analyst in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 054 ESM Finance
8 AM-5 PM
Under the supervision of the Director of Finance and with considerable latitude for the exercise of independent judgment and initiative, the Financial Analyst is responsible for proving support to all aspects of Eastman’s finance functions. The position will be accountable for analyzing and improving managerial and accounting processes for the departments and programs within the Eastman School of Music. The position will formulate budgets, monitor revenue/expense and create mid/long term strategies and procedures.
Forecasting and Analysis:
- Prepare monthly close reports and maintain documentation to support financial analyses.Seek out ways to improve and refine the monthly close process.
- Monitor and report spending against budget, prepare variance and trend analyses, and prepare associated financial narratives.
- Work closely with the Director of Finance and other key Eastman constituents to gather information and business intelligence that will impact Eastman’s financial performance.Analytical review can be in-year/next-year impact or strategic 3-5 year outlook.
- Perform extensive analyses and modeling for financial components affecting revenue and expenses.
Annual Operating Budgets:
- Develop and maintain the annual operating and salary budget templates for revenues (1L), expenses (2L), organized activities (3L), gifts (6L), and student activities (9L) including actualizing the templates after the previous fiscal year is closed.
- Coordinate and provide financial analysis to faculty and administrative departments during the operating budget development process, including comprehensive financial narratives and supporting schedules.
- Prepare Standard Monthly Entry schedules, budget and monthly close entries.
- Assist in the preparation of the Divisional Package and the Annual Budget Book.
- Ensure that work performed and financial results are in accordance with University policies and procedures.
- Compile financial data for the annual HEADS report submission.
- Create, develop and maintain program based financial reporting and forecasts.
- Provide financial oversight, monitoring and reporting for Eastman’s gifts and endowments. Monitor and report gift and endowment activity with particular attention on alignment with Eastman’s guidelines and in compliance with University spending policies.
- Complete account reconciliations, including the identification and explanation of variances.Ensure that identified variances are resolved timely and accurately.
- Accumulate data for the annual 990F and 990T tax return filings.
- Oversee and maintain the Cognos and Workday reports.Including maintaining a report catalog to include the folder/report name/brief description of the report purpose/ financial output of the report/and report distribution, if applicable.
- Design and create financial reports in Cognos and other systems as needed that support effective decision making and improved processes.
- Is knowledgeable on the University’s data warehouse and can design and produce ad hoc data warehouse queries for various constituents for financial analysis.
- Serve as subject matter resource on financial matters.Develop working knowledge of each department in order to provide relevant financial expertise and guidance.
- Provide coaching and training to staff accountant.
- Oversee invoicing for all external events reserved through the Eastman Concert Office.
- Perform other duties as specifically delegated and communicated by the Director of Finance or senior management.
Bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance and 4 or more years’ experience as an accountant or financial analyst, preferably in higher education. CPA or MBA preferred.
Must have well-developed interpersonal skills including concise and professional written and face to face communications. Have the ability and desire to work in a collaborative team-oriented environment with all levels of staff including sr. management, faculty and central University departments. Must be comfortable distributing confidential materials in a professional manner and with discretion. Proficient with Microsoft Office and database applications (including financial modeling and presentations). Possess advanced analytical, organizational, problem solving and time management skills.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Financial Analyst
Location: Eastman School Music
Job ID: 209119
Full/Part Time: Full-Time