University of Rochester Financial Counselor in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 008 URMFG Business Office
8:30 AM-5 PM
The Financial Assistance Officer will be responsible for responding to written requests and inquiries from patients, the Patient Services staff and the billing departments related to the Financial Assistance program within the University of Rochester Medical Center. The Financial Assistance Officer will be responsible to receive, log and respond to all Financial Assistance inquiries and requests from both Internal and external customers concerning the status of the accounts and unpaid balances for services rendered by the Health care Providers within the Flowcast system, HBOC system and across the Enterprise. The Financial Assistance Officer must meet the tum around time frames of the Financial Assistance Law as well as provide accurate and timely reports to the Management of the University of Rochester Patient Services Department. The position requires a broad knowledge base about medical billing, rules and regulations of third party billing. In addition, the position requires experience among the Federal insurance programs as well as the Federal Poverty Guidelines. The position requires a competency level in the use of verification and third party and government billing systems as well as knowledge and understanding of the Fair Credit Act.
With general direction of the Patient Services Management Team and with latitude for initiative and judgment:
- According to established policies and procedures, review all applications for Financial Assistance.
- Review and respond to applications within the prescribed timeframes verbally and/or in writing.
- Investigate financial information relating to the application for Financial Assistance.
- Respond to inquiries via telephone and/or letter in a timely fashion.
- Coordinate status reports to the management team.
- Act as the liaison with the Billing Departments, SMH Patient Financial Services, HH Patient Accounts as well as the Collection Agencies via fax; telephone, or e-mail.
- Maintain and process current hold bills to ensure timely adjustments and billing to patients occur.
- Process adjustments based on reports delivered from management team.
- Review and make recommendations for high dollar financial assistance balances to management on a weekly basis.
- Ensuring that the master file database is updated and accurately reflects the required documentation.
- Completion of productivity tracking as defined by management.
- Coordinate all Financial Assistance application efforts with the Patient Services staff. Perform account registration edits and account adjustments for the Financial Assistance program.
- Act as a back up in staffing crisis to receive incoming calls from both internal and external customer regarding billing issues, in a timely and customer friendly manner.
- Act as a backup for vacations and staffing crisis to meet with patients directly regarding billing issues and financial assistance questions for the Financial Coordinator located within the hospital.
- Receive incoming calls regarding outstanding balances as a result of statements sent.
- Perform review and research procedures on billing issues on patient accounts.
High school graduate with 4 years experience in patient accounts related area or Bachelor's degree with at least 1 year of related experience or equivalent combination of education and experience.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Financial Counselor
Location: Medical Faculty Group
Job ID: 210576
Full/Part Time: Full-Time