University of Rochester Instructor for UR English Language Program in Rochester, New York
Time as Reported Grade 000 Warner School
Function of Position:The University of Rochester is seeking five instructors for the English Language Program for incoming international students and affiliates. This non-credit bearing English program includes courses in 1) Academic English Reading and Writing, 2) Academic English Listening and Speaking, and 3) General English. Adjunct faculty are responsible for preparing lessons and teaching these courses at the UR River Campus. Instructors in this program teach twice weekly in ten-week courses. Day or evening courses may be assigned. Adjunct faculty must maintain accurate records on students and submit pertinent data to the program, department, and the University, including, but not limited to, attendance records, course information sheet, proficiency exams, and final grades. Adjunct faculty report to the English Language Program in the Office for Global Engagement.
Examples of Duties & Responsibilities:
- Teaches integrated or skill-specific English language classes for non-English speaking graduate students and affiliates.
- Establishes and maintains an organized, well-managed, welcoming classroom environment that encourages students’ participation in class activities.
- Evaluates student performance as per guidelines set by the University of Rochester.
- Provides students with assistance, guidance, and encouragement.
- Provides timely submission of all required paperwork / information as required by the program, department, and college.
- Proctors exams.
- Provides students with appropriate learning materials and expertise in assigned subjects.
- Demonstrates appropriate knowledge of subject.
- Prepare lesson plans.
- Adheres to all University of Rochester and department policies.
- Earned master’s degree in TESOL, or related field with TESOL Certificate, from a regionally accredited higher education institution
- ESOL classroom teaching experience
- English Teaching experience at college/university level or in an intensive English program to adults.
- Ability to communicate effectively in English with native or near-native proficiency
- Enthusiasm for teaching international students
- Evidence of proficiency with technology, including working knowledge of Blackboard and the Microsoft suite.
- Academic English Reading and Writing instructor: Experience teaching intermediate or advanced level English reading and writing;
- Academic English Listening and Speaking instructor: Experience teaching intermediate or advanced level English listening and speaking;
- Cross-cultural experience, such as study or work abroad experience, and / or basic fluency in another language
- Knowledge of current issues and best practices related to TESOL
- Cover Letter
Please email the following documents to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Philosophy of Teaching
- List of Three References with Contact Information
- Transcript (Unofficial transcript acceptable with application)
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Instructor for UR English Language Program
Location: Warner Grad School Education
Job ID: 209575
Full/Part Time: TAR