University of Rochester Laboratory Technician II (S) in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 075 Dept of Biomedical Genetics
8 AM-4:30 PM; SOME WKENDS
A Laboratory Technician II position is available at the University of Rochester Medical Center in the laboratory of Dr. Brian J. Altman. His laboratory studies the connections between the MYC cancer gene, altered metabolism in cancer, and circadian rhythms, the body’s natural 24-hour cycles. Circadian rhythm is an exciting and growing field that was recently recognized with the 2017 Nobel Prize in Medicine, and Dr. Altman hopes to contribute to our understanding of how and why circadian rhythms are disrupted in cancer.
The successful candidate will perform a variety of experiments from cell culture and animal models to study the role of MYC and metabolic alterations in circadian rhythm control. The candidate will also perform a share of lab housekeeping duties including record keeping, ordering, inventory, and organization.
On the resume and/or cover letter, please include a list of relevant skills and identify techniques that the candidate can perform without supervision. Ideally, the candidate should be familiar with a wide range of molecular biology and animal model techniques outlined below. Previous experience with R-language programming is desirable but not required. Finally, all members of the lab, regardless of position, are expected to read primary literature and make scientific contributions to the planning, execution, interpretation, and communication of experiments.
Initially, this individual will perform assignments with daily supervision, and over time, this individual will be expected develop some independence in planning and performing laboratory tests.
- Plans and performs a variety of cellular and molecular biology experiments and analyses on cell culture samples investigating cancer and circadian rhythm.
- Performs lab housekeeping duties including ordering, inventory, organization, record keeping, preparing and re-stocking reagents, animal protocol maintenance, and compliance with all University guidelines and policies.
- Maintains a mouse colony including husbandry, weaning, genotyping, and animal experiments.
- Prepares reports using defined methods and prescribed formats. Calculates and records results and observations. Prepares data for presentation or publication.
- Assists in training incoming lab members.
- Reads primary literature to understand the scientific basis for assigned experiments and the project. Works closely with the supervisor to interpret data and trouble shoot experiments and equipment malfunctions.
- Participates in program seminars and enrichment activities.
- Associate’s degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Molecular Biology and previous documented research experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bachelors’ degree in Biology, Chemistry, Biochemistry, or Molecular Biology
- Candidates must have a demonstrated history of outstanding organization, time-management, and communication skills.
- Strong interpersonal skills and communication skills both verbal and written.
- Please include a list of skills that applicant is competent in.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Laboratory Technician II (S)
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 210238
Full/Part Time: Full-Time