University of Rochester Laboratory Technician III (S) in Rochester, New York
Part Time 24 hours Grade 077 Pediatrics M&D; Inf Diseases
SCHEDULE VARIES BASED ON LABORATORY NEEDS; PRIMARILY DAY SHIFT; SOME WEEKEND AND EVENING HOURS WITHIN 40 HOUR WORK WEEK; POSS HOL
THIS POSITION HAS AN END DATE OF JULY 31, 2020.
This position requires active participation in research laboratory activities. This individual will participate in basic science laboratory procedures including processing human subject-derived biospecimens and performing pathogen and antibody detection assays (such as isolating mononuclear cells from blood, cell-sorting by flow cytometry, polymerase chain reaction, tissue culture procedures, enzyme linked immunoassays, and fluorescent antibody detection). Assisting with laboratory and equipment maintenance, ordering supplies and adherence to regulatory requirements is required.
- Prepare work station for efficient workflow and stock with necessary supplies
- Log in specimens
- Label, aliquot, and freeze specimens per study protocols for testing and storage
- Interact with enrollment team to resolve any questions
- Clean and disinfect work station
Data and Specimen Management
- Learn several existing databases (i.e. excel, BSI, BLIS)
- Daily data entry into numerous databases
- Assist with a Biospecimen Inventory Database (BSI). This includes specimen entry into Inventory Database and assistance with regular inventory reconciliation
- Maintenance of shared protocols
Research Laboratory Procedures
- Organizing the work station with the necessary supplies, including assembling any necessary plastic ware
- Cell staining and counting for flow cytometry experiments
- Routine cleaning of instrumentation and work area per protocol
- Restocking of work station supplies
- Performing routine laboratory analyses including (but not limited to) RT-PCR, ELISA, cell culture, histology and microscopy.
- Separation of peripheral blood cells following standardized protocols
- Maintaining and analyzing primary cells in tissue culture
- Clean and maintain instruments per manufacture’s recommendations
Laboratory management procedures such as ordering supplies, participation in team meetings and conference calls, adhering to regulatory policies, maintaining certifications and training, and troubleshooting workflow problems. Keeping current in the field through pertinent seminars and literature.
Help to train and assist new student employees, potentially in research lab procedures, data entry and checking, and stocking supplies.
Associate’s degree in appropriate discipline plus 2-3 years specialized experience in related field; or equivalent combination of education and experience. BS/BA in biological/physical science or equivalent experience is preferred. Advanced education and experience is valued. A minimum of 1-year experience in laboratory science desired. Individuals with experience in handling human subject-derived biospecimens and/or cytometry are encouraged to apply. Knowledge of University policy and procedures is desirable.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Laboratory Technician III (S)
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 209997
Full/Part Time: Part-Time