University of Rochester Med Technologist-Spec in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 097 Microbiology SMH
The MT Student Technical Specialist generally works independently and is responsible for coordination of the MT student program(s) and assuring that the curriculum is adequately covered during student labs, clinical rotations and lectures.
- Primary instructor for student lab sessions. Actively coordinates/contributes to instruction for students in clinical rotations. Writes and delivers lectures. Keeps students engaged and productive during all phases of their rotations. Demonstrates knowledge of theory and technical applications of Clinical Microbiology - stays abreast of new developments.
- Monitors and evaluates student performance and fulfillment of program goals. Grades exams, assists in preparing of student teaching materials and evaluates programs for appropriateness and quality. May write or update course outlines, checklists and exams. Communicates student performance to and works with SMH education coordinator if additional instruction or corrective actions are needed.
- Works with section supervisors and SMH education coordinator to schedule MT students in microbiology introductory labs and clinical rotations. Works closely with other coordinators and supervisors to provide a fluid and complete rotation for the students.
- Along with section supervisors, selects and develops medical technologist instructors for clinical rotations. Assures medical technology instructors are evaluated for ability to effectively teach subject materials.
- Perform duties of a Medical Technologist II including, but not limited to: isolation, identification and susceptibility testing of pathogenic microorganisms; preparation of reagents and media; communication with medical staff regarding work performed. Function as an assistant supervisor on weekends, holidays, and in absence of supervisors.
- Provides technical guidance to the internal staff and external customers to meet clinical objectives for patient work and support SMH customers.
- Maintenance and troubleshooting of instruments/procedures; documentation of essential information such as quality control data, calibration verification, reagent lots, proficiency sample data, etc.
- Training of new technologists, technicians, residents on new procedures and instruments as well as competency assessments for current staff.
- Monitoring usage of supplies and reagents. Assist in ordering of parts and supplies.
- Assists with workflow and daily scheduling of lab staff for work assignments and staff mandatory training/educating requirements.
- Effective interpersonal skills, and maintains a friendly and courteous professional manner at all times.
- Excellent Communication, word processing and computer skills are essential.
- Is able to prioritize and maintain focus while performing multiple tasks.
- Well-developed communication skills are a must.
- Adherence to ill University, Division and Department policies.
- Adherence to all laboratory safety procedures.
- Bachelor's degree in related science and 6 years clinical experience or Master's degree in related science and 3 years of relevant experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience. New York State License in the Clinical Laboratory Technologist category required. MT certification preferred. (ASCP)
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Med Technologist-Spec
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 210481
Full/Part Time: Full-Time