University of Rochester Pharmacist Pending Licensure in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 052 Pharmacy SMH
VARIES; AS DETERMINED BY DEPARTMENT; WEEKENDS/HOLIDAYS
Using clinical judgment and available resources, approves the ordering of medications for patients treated at the medical center. Oversees and directly contributes to compounding, preparation and dispensing of medications for patients of SMH in accordance with all applicable state and federal laws and regulations for Pharmacy practice. Supervises pharmacy technicians.
The distribution of clinical distributional responsibilities may vary depending upon the assigned responsibilities of the pharmacist. For example, a Level II pharmacist may play a very vital role in the main pharmacy, IVA, or manufacturing area where the opportunity to spend significant of time of clinical responsibilities is not realistic or applicable. However, the level of specialized knowledge and competencies in their primary area of responsibility is expected to be greater than for pharmacists who work in other areas of the department.
Medication Authorization and Distribution:
- Understands and follows departmental and hospital policy and procedures related to dispensing of medications
- Dispenses medications accurately and in a timely manner
- Independently resolves problem medication orders appropriately and in a timely manner
- Processes/validates medication orders utilizing current information system technology to create and maintain accurate patient profiles
- Directs and supervises the work of technicians to ensure appropriate workflow as required
- Verbal communication to all hospital staff is conducted in an effective and professional manner
- Checks all products requiring a pharmacist approval prior to dispensing
- Participates in departmental Q/A processes such as reporting and following up on medication incidents, reconciling MARs, reporting medication adverse events and errors, etc…
- Develops or participates in a clinical practice by interacting with physicians, nurses, other health care professionals, and patients as a member of an interdisciplinary team on patient care units to guide and recommend appropriate medication use.
- Participates in focused clinical initiatives as defined by the department (e.g. pharmacokinetic consultation, antimicrobial stewardship, etc).
- Participates in Medication Use Evaluations when appropriate.
- Monitors assigned patient populations for clinical progress including renal/hepatic function, culture results, and other applicable laboratory tests.Recommends adjustments to therapy as necessary.
- Documents clinical activities and interventions on a regular basis.
- Participates in education of other Pharmacy staff and other healthcare professionals.
- Identifies need for patient teaching and performs such tasks when necessary.
- Thoroughly resolves problems with appropriate and direct communication to all pertinent staff in a clear and concise manner.
- Proactive in identifying patient care problems and does not pass on problems to the next shift without exhausting reasonable attempts at resolution and communicating progress.
- Problem solving will often go beyond patient-specific issues, and may require participation on interdisciplinary teams or revising hospital or departmental policy, procedures or treatment guidelines.
- Performs required duties of “charge pharmacist” when scheduled, including coordination of shift resources, problem solving, staff conflict resolution, and appropriate communication from shift to shift.
- Contacts supervisor for assistance when solution is beyond his/her expertise or authority.
Bachelor of Science degree in Pharmacy or PharmD (preferred). New York State Pharmacy License (or eligibility) and interest in hospital practice. The newly-hired Level II pharmacist is someone with either prior (>1 year) of relevant acute care pharmacy experience or has successfully completed a Post Graduate-Year 1 (PGY-) accredited pharmacy practice residency.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Pharmacist Pending Licensure
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 210786
Full/Part Time: Full-Time