University of Rochester Physician Support Spec in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 009 Orthopaedics Admin Support
8 AM-4:30 PM
With minimal direction and considerable latitude for independent judgment, performs complex secretarial and administrative duties in a fast-paced environment in support of clinical, educational, and academic programs. Responsible for all clinic preparations, including but not limited to, providers’ time and calendar management while optimizing provider patient schedule, coordination of patient care and information/data support.
- Serves as primary contact for provider(s). Manages provider(s) calendar, prioritizes appointments and meetings based on provider preferences. Chooses and recommends among competing demands.
- Examines the clinical schedule(s) on a continuous basis to identify opportunities for optimizing the time and effort of providers. Finds missing orders and pends them for review and approval. Anticipates needs of insurance companies by gathering all necessary information for referrals and prior authorizations.
- Applies provider preferences and protocols in selecting from multiple possibilities to execute and/or delegate follow up actions based on provider’s patient notes.
- Frequently composes, edits and obtains signatures for non-routine letters of correspondence related to appeals on denied claims. This includes compiling all necessary information and drafts for provider signature.
- Manages provider(s) documentation and information. Composes and types non routine correspondence providing factual information.
- Arranges travel, conference registration and hotel accommodations. Interfaces with organizations, hospitals and others to facilitate invited lectures and speaking engagements for the provider.
- Researches hospital medical records for information requested by physicians, insurance companies and attorneys.
- Decides, using independent judgment, the order of daily surgeries and ambulatory procedures based upon patient’s medical conditions and severity.
- Negotiates surgical/procedure schedule by communicating complex details directly to the Operating Room scheduling office and Ambulatory Surgical Center Staff. Using independent judgment, authorizes overbooking and rearranging of surgeons Operating Room schedules based on case complexity and medical urgency. Authorizes rescheduling when cancellations occur by applying protocols for surgical scheduling.
- Orders all necessary surgical/procedure equipment, devices and medication based on application of protocols needed to conduct the surgery/procedure. Follows up to confirm that order is fulfilled and ready for surgery/procedure. Employs multiple contingency strategies to ensure all details, materials and locations are ready for surgery/procedures as scheduled.
- Based on the nature of the surgery/procedure, varies patient education and follow up details accordingly in relation to pre-operative readiness and post-operative rehabilitation expectations and activities. Is accountable for completeness of all relevant information from pre-op testing and evaluations for review by the anesthesiologist and the Operating Room.
- Assembles, from multiple tabs within the electronic medical record, the necessary details, for review and inclusion when completing disability paperwork.
- Assesses calls to understand patient needs, prioritizes medical concerns and obtains responses from providers and follows up with patient.
- Serves as main point of contact for patients’ pre and post-operative.
Associate’s degree in Medical, Secretarial or related field and a minimum of three years of relevant experience required; or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Medical Terminology, experiences with surgical/appointment scheduling software (such as Flowcast), and electronic medical records, preferred. Demonstrated customer relations skills.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Physician Support Spec
Location: Medical Faculty Group
Job ID: 210793
Full/Part Time: Full-Time