University of Rochester Scientist in Rochester, New York
Consortium - IoT Research Scientist
Goergen Institute for Data Science
GENERAL PURPOSE & SUMMARY :
The Rochester Data Science Consortium (RDSC) is seeking Research Scientists with specialization in Internet of Things (IoT) / Cyber-Physical Systems (CPS) (CPS presenting a higher combination and coordination between physical and computational elements). Founded in 2017 and funded by the State of New York to create a hub for high-tech jobs centered around Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Data Science, the RDSC has several positions open across a range of technical and subject matter areas. The consortium, initially founded by the University of Rochester and the Harris Corporation, collaborates with its members and is responsible for scoping, planning, leading, and executing multiple projects diverse areas such as health and disease diagnostics, automatic satellite and drone imagery interpretation, retail analytics, nutrition, as well as several other areas. We use the methods and tools of Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science, Optics and Imaging, Visual analytics, Deep Learning - whatever is required to sustain leadership in the field. The consortium is predominantly comprised of full-time dedicated data science PhDs, with several MS graduates and a fully funded internship program. Hiring strategy is determined by the research needs of our member companies.
The Consortium is located in the NextCorps facility downtown Rochester and is affiliated with the Goergen Institute for Data Science at the University of Rochester. Our charter is focused on advancing regional economic development and supports a range of partnerships with industry in areas of data science research, training, technology development and access to research computing expertise and resources. The ideal candidate will work with the GIDS/RDSC Director and university researchers in these domains to understand both current world-class competencies and planned future research thrusts. Deep collaboration is required with the region’s commercial entities, from pre-startups and small businesses to Rochester’s traditional core industrial and manufacturing base. The role will require hands-on interactions with these stakeholders and partnering with University faculty and students to successfully scope and deliver projects in a timely fashion.
Specific Responsibilities :
- Collaborate with RDSC colleagues as well as University and Medical Center domain experts
- Manage projects from initial exploration through completion
- Lead teams of research scientists and students
- Perform predictive maintenance / PHM (Prognostics and health management)
- Conduct system - and component- level “lifing” analysis
- Understand and solve research problems across various domains
- Strive for innovative, scalable and viable solutions
- Engage with industry partners to define projects and identify viable commercialization opportunities for emerging data science research by maintaining broad knowledge of CPS/IoT
- Keep abreast of state of the art in CPS/IoT
- Maintain external visibility via professional activities including conference participation, presentations, and publications.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with a passion to continually learn and perform in a fast-paced environment. The successful candidate will also have:
- Ph.D. and at least 5 years of experience in a relevant field: Data Science (AI focus), Statistical Science, Computer Science, Engineering, Applied Mathematics, etc.
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams
- Familiarity with sensor networks and multi-modal fusion (for example: smart grid , autonomous systems, medical monitoring , process control systems , robotics systems, or complex systems)
Research background in some or all of the following:
- Machine learning
- Sensor fusion
- Modeling and simulation
- Big data and data stream analytics
Strong skills in at least one of the following areas:
- Experimental design
Proposal and presentation development
Experience in commercial development or productization
- Experience in publishing research findings as appropriate for IP rights
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
NOTE: This document describes typical duties and responsibilities and is not intended to limit management from assigning other work as required.
The University of Rochester, an Equal Opportunity Employer, has a strong commitment to diversity and actively encourages applications from candidates from groups underrepresented in higher education.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Apply Now »