University of Rochester Scientist in Rochester, New York
Consortium - NLP Research Scientist
Goergen Institute for Data Science
Strong External Candidate
GENERAL PURPOSE & SUMMARY :
The Rochester Data Science Consortium (RDSC) is seeking Research Scientists with specialization in Natural Language Processing (NLP). Founded in 2017 and funded by the State of New York to create a hub for high-tech jobs centered around Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, and Data Science, the RDSC has several positions open across a range of technical and subject matter areas. The consortium, initially founded by the University of Rochester and the Harris Corporation, collaborates with its members and is responsible for scoping, planning, leading, and executing multiple projects diverse areas such as health and disease diagnostics, automatic satellite and drone imagery interpretation, retail analytics, nutrition, as well as several other areas. We use the methods and tools of Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science, Optics and Imaging, Visual analytics, Deep Learning - whatever is required to sustain leadership in the field. The consortium is predominantly comprised of full-time dedicated data science PhDs, with several MS graduates and a fully funded internship program. Hiring strategy is determined by the research needs of our member companies.
The Consortium is located in the NextCorps facility downtown Rochester and is affiliated with the Goergen Institute for Data Science at the University of Rochester. Our charter is focused on advancing regional economic development and supports a range of partnerships with industry in areas of data science research, training, technology development and access to research computing expertise and resources. The ideal candidate will work with the GIDS/RDSC Director and university researchers in these domains to understand both current world-class competencies and planned future research thrusts. Deep collaboration is required with the region’s commercial entities, from pre-startups and small businesses to Rochester’s traditional core industrial and manufacturing base. The role will require hands-on interactions with these stakeholders and partnering with University faculty and students to successfully scope and deliver projects in a timely fashion.
Specific Responsibilities :
- Understand and solve research problems across various domains using known or novel techniques
- Engage industry partners to define projects
- Collaborate with RDSC colleagues as well as University and Medical Center domain experts
- Manage projects from initial exploration through completion
- Lead teams of research scientists and students
- Provide innovative, scalable and viable solutions
- Maintain broad knowledge of data science related research at University and Medical Center
- Access commercialization potential for emerging data science research
- Keep abreast of state of the art in Natural Language Processing
- Maintain external visibility via professional activities including conference participation, presentations, and publications.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with a proven ability to continually learn new things in a fast paced environment and have:
- Ph.D. and at least 5 years of experience in a relevant field (Data Science, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, etc.).
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience in using NLP, machine learning, text analytics, and deep learning to process text and voice data
- Experience in algorithm design and modeling
- Experience in designing and working with ontologies
- Programming skills in Python or similar language
- Experience in using version control and source code management tools such as GitHub
Experience producing and rapidly developing Minimum Viable Products (MVP)
Experience in publishing research findings as appropriate for intellectual property rights
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
NOTE: This document describes typical duties and responsibilities and is not intended to limit management from assigning other work as required.
The University of Rochester, an Equal Opportunity Employer, has a strong commitment to diversity and actively encourages applications from candidates from groups underrepresented in higher education.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Apply Now »