University of Rochester Scientist in Rochester, New York
Consortium - NLP Research Scientist
Goergen Institute for Data Science
- Applications due March 31, 2019
Strong External Candidate
GENERAL PURPOSE & SUMMARY :
The University of Rochester’s Goergen Institute of Data Sciences (GIDS) is seeking a Research Scientist with specialization in Natural Language Processing (NLP) for its Rochester Data Science Consortium (RDSC). This role will be responsible for scoping, planning, leading, and executing multiple projects in collaboration with other RDSC Research Scientists and industry partners. The Consortium actively pursues Data Science research in diverse areas such as Health and Medicine, Artificial Intelligence and Cognitive Science, Visual Analytics and Geospatial Imaging, Retail, and Quantitative Marketing.
The RDSC advances regional economic development and supports a range of partnerships with industry in areas of data science research, training, and technology development with access to research computing expertise and resources. The candidate will work with the GIDS/RDSC Director and university researchers to understand both current world-class competencies and plan future research thrusts. The role will require hands-on interactions with commercial entities from pre-startups to core industrial partners to successfully scope and deliver projects in a timely fashion. Our goal is to leverage the power of UR Data Sciences to transform regional businesses beyond their traditional products to forward-looking, high-value, transformative offerings that propel a redefinition of Rochester as a dynamic economic hub.
Specific Responsibilities :
- Understand and solve research problems across various domains using known or novel techniques
- Engage industry partners to define projects
- Collaborate with RDSC colleagues as well as University and Medical Center domain experts
- Manage projects from initial exploration through completion
- Lead teams of research scientists and students
- Provide innovative, scalable and viable solutions
- Maintain broad knowledge of data science related research at University and Medical Center
- Access commercialization potential for emerging data science research
- Keep abreast of state of the art in Natural Language Processing
- Maintain external visibility via professional activities including conference participation, presentations, and publications.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter with a proven ability to continually learn new things in a fast paced environment and have:
- Ph.D. and at least 5 years of experience in a relevant field (Data Science, Computer Science, Electrical Engineering, Statistics, Applied Mathematics, etc.).
- Ability to work in multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience in using NLP, machine learning, text analytics, and deep learning to process text and voice data
- Experience in algorithm design and modeling
- Experience in designing and working with ontologies
- Programming skills in Python or similar language
- Experience in using version control and source code management tools such as GitHub
Experience producing and rapidly developing Minimum Viable Products (MVP)
Experience in publishing research findings as appropriate for intellectual property rights
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
NOTE: This document describes typical duties and responsibilities and is not intended to limit management from assigning other work as required.
The University of Rochester, an Equal Opportunity Employer, has a strong commitment to diversity and actively encourages applications from candidates from groups underrepresented in higher education.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Apply Now »