University of Rochester Sleep Technologist Supervisor in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 094 GGHaS Ped Sleep & Wellness Ctr
6:30 PM-7 AM
Supervises the clinical sleep lab operations and all sleep lab technicians/technologists in performance of their job duties, including hiring, orientation, developmental plans, evaluation, competency review, and termination. Directs the monthly staff meeting, providing pertinent information and education. Identifies QA/QI opportunities and provides feedback. Role models professional behaviors, critical thinking skills and excellent customer service.
- Communicate with Lead Techs regarding staff and operations on night shift and with Administration regarding staff and operations on day shift.
- Plan lab schedules and tech assignments overseeing productivity of technical staff.
- Ensure staff compliance with expectations of employment as outlined in personnel and attendance guidelines.
- Serve as a role model to staff, setting an example for performance and demeanor.
- Coordinate training and departmental orientation of new staff; including developing and completing an orientation checklist and schedule.
- Complete and maintain competency checklists.
- Coordinate continuing education of established staff.
- Plan and participate in in-services.
- Ensure compliance with completion of ASTEP modules. Provide follow-up and assistance on relevant questions in regard to these modules.
- Identify training opportunities utilizing the Sleep Multimedia Software.
- Take part in interviewing and hiring technical staff. Provide significant input in identifying appropriate hires.
- Initiate disciplinary guidelines, document verbal and written communication as needed amend address staff’s concerns and conflicts.
- Complete and maintain the end of orientation evaluations and end of probation evaluations for each staff member.
- Prepare Performance Evaluations and conduct reviews.
- Review and approve biweekly timesheets.
- Conduct monthly staff meetings.
- Conduct 1:1 staff meetings with each employee at least twice yearly.
- Maintain all staff records.
- Develop and monitor QA and QI initiatives. Provide detail feedback to the Division Chief and Sleep Techs.
- Participate in development and updating of policies and procedures for the lab.
- Perform routine computer maintenance and oversee management of sleep data and servers.
- Meet and communicate on a regular basis with administration in regard to operational issues. Provide feedback and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Review scheduled patients and anticipates/resolves problems. Updates technical staff, adjusts assignments accordingly.
- Update IDX patient schedule.
- Assess the ordering physician’s polysomnography request and the patient’s history to determine if special testing requirements, additional ancillary equipment, or additional orders are needed. Anticipate, document and prepare for the nature and likelihood for medical intervention.
- Review each chart to determine sleep and health concerns, current medications, allergies, and sleep routines. Complete nightly assignments sheet.
- Complete an assignment sheet after determining, for that testing period and patient schedule, what room assignment will best utilize the available testing space, equipment, and staffing.
- Coordinate the schedule for the coverage of after office hours and weekend patient inquiries and cancellations and technologist absence calls. Adjust assignments accordingly using patient cancellation list and technologist on call.
- Review documentation for any staff, patient, or facility issues. Facilitate resolution of issues and communication with Administration as needed.
- Enter NOS and CXS as necessary and process for rescheduling. Update scheduling notes in patient chart and send letters to family and referring physicians as necessary
- Check each patient’s chart for follow up office visit and generate a priority list for scoring. Communicate with office and providers to ensure timely flow of scored data.
- Manage sleep data by migrating local data to the share drive and by burning scored data to a storage media to allow for ready access and reduce the risk of data loss.
- Review patient orders and complete intake forms
- Explain procedures to patient and perform PSG Hookup
- Perform calibrations and maintain recording integrity.
- Document polysomnographic finding during data acquisition.
- Intervene therapeutically as needed.
Polysomnographic Record Scoring
- Score sleep/wake stages by applying professionally accepted guidelines.
- Score clinical events (such as respiratory events, cardiac events, limb movements, arousals etc.) according to center specific protocols.
- Generate accurate reports by tabulating sleep/wake and clinical event data.
- AAS in Polysomnographic Technologist and at least 3-5 years of experience in polysomnographic testing
- NYS Registration as a Polysomnographic Technologist required.
- Bachelor’s of Science in health care related field preferred
- One year of supervisory experience preferred.
- Current BLS or ability to become certified within 1 month of hire.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Sleep Technologist Supervisor
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 209436
Full/Part Time: Full-Time