University of Rochester Social Worker (S) in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 053 Social Work Division SMH
With considerable independence, the Social Worker will provide social work services to patients on the Medicine and Surgery Inpatient Units as well as the Placement Office. The Social Worker is responsible for providing social work services to patient care units when the unit's assigned social worker is unavailable or in need of assistance. These instances may include but are not limited to: extended absence due to disability, sick leave or vacancy. Social Work services will also be provided for the SW Department's daily on-call program. The primary units for coverage include but are not limited to 6-1200, 6-1400, 6-1600, 6-3400, and 6-3600.
- Identify, assess and provide services to Medicine and Surgical inpatients with psychosocial problems which impede discharge and safe return to the community.
- Assist patients and families to resolve problems of adjustment to illness, hospitalization, loss of functioning or impending death.
- Collaborate with other team members to develop and implement patient care plans.
- Participate in identification and management of patients who present psychosocial risks for negative outcome for patient or hospital.
- Assure optimum discharge/placement of psychosocial and ALC risk patients.
- Provide continuity of care/case management for patients at elevated
- Screen patients admitted to the Medicine/Surgery inpatient units for potential psychosocial discharge planning needs or health adjustment problems.
- Receive referrals of patients with psychosocial needs from other social workers, health team members or patients/families.
- Conduct psychosocial assessment of patients identified.
- Develop patient care plans in collaboration with other professional staff and attending physicians. Complete daily rounds on each unit.
- Gather relevant information from and make referral to community agencies in accordance with interdisciplinary care plan.
- Provide psychosocial treatment as identified in care plan.
- Provide education and information to patients and families on psychosocial aspects of discharge plan.
- Provide consultation to other professionals on psychosocial problems and community resources.
- Participate in health team rounds, case conferences, family meetings and other patient care planning meetings.
- Document patient care activities in medical charts in accordance with Social Work Division and Strong Memorial Hospital policies.
- Participate in timely discharge planning in accordance with Social Work Division and Strong Memorial Hospital policies and New York State Department of Health guidelines.
- Provide back up social work services as requested to other units during absence of certain co-workers.
- Provides primary coverage for Social Work Division's Daily on-call program.
- Conduct home visits, if appropriate and approved by the clinical supervisor.
- Provide appropriate assessment and intervention services for adults, and other victims/alleged victims of abuse, neglect or domestic violence.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Attend Social Work Division staff meetings.
- Participate in Social Work Division committee or task force with concurrence of supervisor.
- Participate in activities of the Social Work Division including, but not limited to, timely completion of Division statistical reports/forms, time reporting, other Division and Hospital forms, Hospital and Division mandatory inservice training programs, and UHS reviews.
- Participate in professional development activities.
- Be knowledgeable of and comply with all policies of the Social Work Division and Strong Memorial Hospital.
- Participate in special projects with concurrence of supervisor.
- Participate in relevant training and/or educational opportunities designed to enhance knowledge and skills in protective work.
The Social Worker who occupies this position must have a MSW from an accredited Social Work graduate program and must pass the New York State Licensure Exam within eighteen months of employment. Pre or post master's experience in health care is preferred.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Social Worker (S)
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 210769
Full/Part Time: Full-Time