University of Rochester Sr Accountant in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 053 General Pediatrics
8 AM-4:30 PM
Under the direction of the Senior Administrator for the Division of General Pediatrics, independently and with latitude to exercise judgment conducts professional accounting and data management such as account reconciliation, financial reporting, cost analyses, expense distributions, classification of accounts and funds, supervision of accounting bookkeeper and budgeting. Division financial portfolio includes 19 sponsored research, 3 operating/division, 3 gift, 3 faculty practice, and 1 clinical account.
Manages pre and post-award professional accounting work in the Division of General Pediatrics at a high operating level requiring advanced knowledge and application of general accounting theory, techniques and practices, and knowledge of the University accounting system and of UR-GEMS (an encumbrance based accounting and monitoring system). Devises and implements methods for gathering information, analyzing and interpreting data, budget preparation and forecasts, preparing reports and making recommendations which may have procedural and policy implications within the Division and Department of Pediatrics. The Senior Accountant will obtain and maintain CLASP certification. Directly reports to the Senior Administrator for General Pediatrics and acts in the Administrator’s place when appropriate.
Under the direction of the Chief Financial Officer, departmental responsibility will include research-related financial reporting, budget development, fiscal projections, and financial analysis. The Senior Accountant will assist faculty and staff in ensuring compliance with both internal and external regulations. The Senior Accountant will audit non-General Pediatric Division Departmental accounts, analyze findings, identify issues, propose resolutions, and prepare reports for presentation to Pediatric Senior Administration.
- Financial Account Management – under the general supervision of the Division Administrator but with the latitude (and expectation) to exercise independent judgment when required the Senior Accountant is responsible for the day-to-day management of all financial operations within the Division of General Pediatrics. This is expected to include (but not be limited to):
- Assist the Senior Administrator with annual operating budgets and spending projections
- Examine and approve transactional documents to ensure compliance with University policies and procedures. Develop and implement financial controls when appropriate to strengthen processes.
- Reconciliation and monthly analysis of account ledgers for accuracy and completeness, including the faculty and clinical practice. Uses judgment in determining appropriate account balances. Reconciles official University ledgers against departmental records (personnel and non-personnel.) Supervision of Accounting Bookkeeper IV in these capacities.
- Monitor faculty start-up packages and discretionary funds
- Fiscal liaison with outside agencies for which we provide a service and/or those that provides third party contractual services for the University. Monitor and resolve issues that may arise to ensure compliance with policies and regulations.
- Ensure timely billing and collection for all service contracts within the Division including our fee for service academic/grant writing cost center
- Oversee the financial segment of the subcontracting process within Sponsored Research Accounts to ensure compliance with Sponsor terms and conditions.
- Responsible for providing projections of future balances available and making recommendations for re-budgeting on all accounts within the Division of General Pediatrics
- Manage the financial segment of Sponsored Research Programs accounts
- Makes recommendations regarding allocable and allowable costs based upon agency guidelines. Reviews and interprets agency guidelines to faculty and staff to ensure regulatory compliance.
- Audits petty cash accounts and human subject payments for accuracy, identifying and resolving issues; amending and/or developing policy and procedures as needed.
- Prepares and submits all sponsored research account closeout and handles financial reporting inquiries from the Office of Research Accounting and Cost Standards
- Sponsored Program Pre-award
- Develops pre-award proposals and sub-contract budgets
- Reviews and interprets proposal RFAs for specific budget requirements
- Prepares and submits all sponsored program cost-sharing, and salary cap documentation
- Business Process Improvement and Strategic Development
- Analyze financial data (for both sponsored research and Division accounts) and develop recommendations for courses of action in areas related to financial activity or business processes and procedures
- Train and supervise financial activities of all Division staff involved in financial transactions to ensure adherence to Department Protocols
- In the absence of Department Protocols, develop and implement strategies to minimize the financial risk and inefficiency in Division processes and procedures.
- Reporting and Communication
- Develop relationships and communication with Division Faculty with the goal of working with faculty and staff to determine plan and procedures related to financial matters for clinical projects.
- Advises/guides faculty on financial management of grants and operations accounts. Interprets accounting systems data output to General Pediatric Staff and Faculty
- Research and develop special reports delegated by Division Administrator or Faculty within the Division
- Attend appropriate administrative meetings within the University and monitor documentation of policies, procedures and grant related information at the Federal, state, and local levels to determine trends, develops policies and procedures relevant to General Pediatric operations.
- Design, prepare and interpret financial statements for monthly and quarterly reports to Division Administrator, Clinical Practice Administrator and Department Administration
- Support for Departmental Finance Office
- Conducts audits of accounting practices for assigned divisions, with the exception of the General Pediatrics’ Division, across all division accounts. Performs analyses and tests necessary to ascertain integrity of accounting data, account balances and to assure accurate reporting. Develops recommendations for improvement and assists with Department / Division action plans.
- Works with Program Administrator(s)/University personnel to develop ongoing reports to monitor adherence to business processes. Develop and implement financial controls when appropriate to strengthen processes & analysis. Fiscal liaison with outside agencies that provide third party contractual services for the University. Monitor and resolve issues that may arise to ensure compliance with policies and regulations specific to these programs.
- Direct Supervision of Division’s Accounting Bookkeeper IV
- Train individual in processes and procedures as they relate to financial functions within the Division of General Pediatrics
- Daily Supervision and HR functions for Bookkeeper position.
- Evaluate and prepare performance assessment
- Identify and resolve performance issues in conjunction with Division Administrator and Staff Human Resources Administrator.
- Act in the Senior Administrator’s place when she is unavailable
- Serve as resource and triage questions and issues.
- Appropriately escalate issues as required
- While maintaining financial controls assures that financial paperwork is completed accurately and submitted in a timely manner
Bachelor's degree in Accounting (or equivalent coursework) and 3 years’ experience as a staff accountant or an equivalent combination of education and experience. Prefer 5 years’ experience as a staff accountant or equivalent duties as performed. Must obtain/maintain CLASP certification. Experience with COGNOS, GEMS, Workday, and HRMS required. This position requires an annual renewal of a Strong Commitment contract and maintenance of CLASP certification
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Sr Accountant
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 210801
Full/Part Time: Full-Time