University of Rochester Staff Accountant in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 051 Del Monte Inst Neuroscience
8 AM-4:30 PM; OCC WKENDS
Provides, in an independent manner, professional financial and administrative support to the Department of Neuroscience; under general direction and with latitude for independent judgment. Utilizes knowledge of the University accounting procedures to provide proper analysis, review and control over activity which impacts the financial records of grants administration for all of the currently funded projects. Responsible for research payroll-related processes, documentation, and paperwork for department. Interprets and applies University policies and procedures, granting agency fiscal policies, and department policies and procedures and presents recommendations based on interpretations.
Performs monthly analysis of ledger accounts and ensures completeness and accuracy of data; uses judgment as to whether account balances are reasonable; examines accounting documents to ascertain that transactions are properly supported in accordance with University policy and procedures; initiates corrective action or recommends solutions as appropriate. Prepares and maintains financial reports on all externally and internally funded departmental grants and contracts and ensures that these reports support the findings and recommendations. Recommends improvements, adaptation and changes in policy and procedures in the accounting system. The department currently holds grants from foundations, federal government, and other sources.
Reconciles personnel expenditures by reviewing University ledgers and Cumulative Salary reports. Utilizes UR GEMS encumbrance accounting system for reconciliation process, in conjunction with Cognos (FRS)/UR Financials, HRMS, and other diagnostic tools. Prepares and submits personnel forms/salary distribution changes for processing as needed and initiates corrective action to address errors as appropriate. Uses experience, training, and knowledge of procedures and regulations to resolve issues and suggest solutions.
Reconciles non-salary expenditures by reviewing University ledgers, Requests For Payment, Employee Expenses Reports and other supporting documentation. Utilizes UR GEMS shadow system for reconciliation process, in conjunction with Cognos/UR Financials, HRMS, and other diagnostic tools. Investigates any discrepancies and takes corrective action as needed.
Completes Report of Expenditures (ROE) at the end of a grant with input from the Financial Analyst. Monitors research accounts and communicates with the Office of Research Accounting and Costing Standards (ORACS) to ensure successful close out of accounts. Works closely with Financial Analyst and Sr. Accountant in troubleshooting financial issues and providing timely information and solutions.
Projects future spending based upon past expenditures, budgeted, and encumbered charges and uses these projections to interpret trends. Prepares and presents reports and recommendations to Financial Analyst.
Updates various spreadsheets on an ad-hoc and routine basis relating to ledger activity and financial projections utilizing Cognos/UR Financials, HRMS, UR-GEMS, etc. Processes journal entries/expense transfers as needed. Develops a variety of spreadsheets on an ad-hoc basis; performs additional financial/accounting duties as needed. May train other staff on accounting procedures, policies and systems.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, and 1 year of professional accounting experience; or an equivalent combination of education and experience required. Previous experience in academic research setting preferred.
- Strong analytical and organizational skills with keen attention to detail and value of data integrity.
- Positive customer service attitude with strong organizational, communication and interpersonal skills.
- Shows initiative and resourcefulness in managing priorities and takes responsibility for accomplishing his/her own work while maintaining confidentiality of information.
- Strong spreadsheet analysis and database experience as well as experience with UR accounting and payroll procedures preferred. CLASP certification preferred - candidate lacking this certification will attend classes upon hire and is required to successfully obtain certification. Experience with Cognos/UR Financials, HRMS, UR-GEMS preferred.
- Ability to handle confidential information in a professional manner.
- Ability to quickly learn new systems, programs, and / or software.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Staff Accountant
Location: School of Medicine & Dentistry
Job ID: 209868
Full/Part Time: Full-Time