University of Rochester Supvr Technical, Lab Med in Rochester, New York
Full Time 40 hours Grade 053 Flow/Bone Marrow Lab
Under general direction from the Hematopathology Director, and with latitude for the exercise of independent judgement, participates in the management of the technical/administrative, financial, quality, and personnel management functions of the laboratory section. The Flow Cytometry-Bone Marrow Lab Supervisor primarily provides general supervision and administrative support to the laboratory section. The position provides less than 50% of effort at the bench level.
- Translates hospital and laboratory policies into effective section procedures. Communicates policies effectively.
- Oversees compliance with and effectiveness of departmental and section procedures; recommends revision as needed.
- Coordinates and consults with other section supervisors to insure integration and synchronization of various laboratory operations. Supports strategic initiatives.
- Together with section faculty, develops goals and objectives for section that are in alignment with departmental goals.
- Participates in laboratory and section management meetings and conducts or participates in regular staff meetings; follows up on issues and responds to inquiries in a timely fashion.
- Encourages open expression of ideas and suggestions.
- Models leadership skills of professionalism, positive attitude, team building, good judgement, and respect.
- Accepts accountability for section’s overall performance.
Operational Management/ Technical Performance:
- Keeps abreast of current advances in the field and acts to evaluate and implement changes as appropriate.
- Confers with Laboratory Director (faculty) concerning laboratory testing and operations.
- Evaluates new instrumentation and products; makes recommendations for implementation. Seeks opportunities to gain efficiency and reduce cost.
- Ensures adequacy of laboratory supplies through an effective inventory management system.
- Ensures adequacy of instrument performance, including preventative maintenance.
- Participates in education of residents, medical students, fellows and nursing and laboratory staff.
- Ensures continual compliance with all regulatory requirements and agencies. Insures ongoing compliance and adequate documentation.
- Ensures compliance with safety, infection control, and housekeeping policies.
- Participates in process development, and monitors the efficient operation of the laboratory to assure prompt reporting of results within defined laboratory reporting parameters.
- Participates in the development of instructional and training protocols.
- Provides daily operational direction and technical guidance to staff through work assignments.
- Demonstrates thorough understanding of the daily operations of the section, and gives timely follow up to issues and questions.
- Participates in the development and administration of an effective Quality Assurance program measuring the critical aspects of service. Monitors and evaluates results of program, adequacy of indicators, and implements improvement actions.
- Participates in the design, oversight, and monitoring of the laboratory Quality Control program to assure accurate reporting of results.
- Proactively seeks information to improve work processes; researches and implements solutions to problems in a timely manner.
- Understands and demonstrates the hospital vision and expectations of service excellence.
- Fosters an environment of teamwork and doing it right the first time.
- Accountable for technical and professional performance of all section employees.
- Oversees performance evaluation process; insures fair and accurate evaluation following laboratory standards of performance. Provides counseling and constructive feedback for employee development.
- Directly supervises assigned section staff, including performance evaluations and actions.
- Appropriately following Human Resource policies, recommends actions as to hiring, transfer, promotion, disciplinary action, and termination. Interviews candidates.
- Accountable for laboratory staffing including adequacy and equity of scheduling and training.
- Participates in the administration of the section Wage and Salary program, insuring equity, and appropriateness of salary according to performance standards.
- Sets and models standards of behavior creating an atmosphere of teamwork and respect.
- Participates in the development and maintenance of accurate and appropriate job descriptions.
- Oversees or directs section purchasing activities. Identifies and implements opportunities for reducing expenses and improving the efficiency of the process.
- Understands financial impact of operational decisions.
- Reviews assigned section’s business reports for accuracy; and initiates corrections. Completes responses by stated deadlines.
- Manages operational budget by appropriate use of subcodes, budget distribution across subcodes, and management of expenses to meet section budget.
- Evaluates impact of testing volume changes and recommends budget adjustments as appropriate.
- Participates in the development of the annual section operational budget.
- Participates in the development of the annual section capital budget.
- Manages section manpower by ensuring the productive use of staff and setting limits for overtime (monitors usage).
Other responsibilities and projects as assigned.
BS and 7 years of relevant experience, including at least 5 years at a managerial level, OR an equivalent combination of education and experience. Requires background on Flow Cytometry/Hematology. Must be NYS Licensed or eligible for NYS licensure.
EOE Minorities/Females/Protected Veterans/Disabled
Job Title: Supvr Technical, Lab Med
Location: Strong Memorial Hospital
Job ID: 210026
Full/Part Time: Full-Time